September 7, 2010

The Moth and the Ant, a Childhood Tale

Most recently my son came in from playing on a hot summer day.  In his most serious tone, he said "Mama there is a dead moth outside and the ants have torn it apart".   He went on to explain to me that this scenario was much like what the men did to Jesus before he was hung on the cross.  All the sudden I was hit with one of those rare gold nuggets we parents like to call "a teachable moment".  I went on to tell him that yes he was right, that is exactly was what was done to Jesus.  He could have called ten thousand angels to rescue him instead because of his love for us he chose to die a humiliating death.  I am reminded from my son's observation on that day that Jesus faced the ultimate adversity.  He was despised and yet he was willing to do the work of the Father.  My prayer today is that I be willing to face the hard times because he walked the path before me.  He laid down his life, the ultimate sacrifice.  Gonna close with my son's favorite verse:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Colossians 3:23

2 comments:

motheringinmadison said...

that is one of fav verse and AM's class verse... thank u for sharing

Karen Holsomback said...

Thanks for reading and believing!